Luke 6:23 “Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven.”
Sometimes it seems like ungodly people win. We see it in business as well as in every day life. Those who have worldly wealth put the stranglehold on those less financially blessed and get what they want through the power of the dollar. Others use status to claw their way up the ladder, ousting others who may be more qualified. Unfair circumstances can create huge frustration and bewilderment for those who are trying to do right, but God has something to say about these matters.
Jesus Speaks Words of Encouragement to His Followers
Sitting on a Judean hillside Jesus spoke words of encouragement to His followers. He taught the attitudes and character qualities that pleased God and reassured His disciples that they would be blessed despite the apparent victory of ungodly men. While unscrupulous characters may seem to be rewarded here on earth, Jesus revealed the eventual downfall of the ones who choose to serve themselves instead of God.
The Gospel according to Luke records four blessings and four woes. This contrast shows that those who follow God here and endure difficult times with grace will receive their reward in heaven. On the other hand, those who disobey God and misuse their fellow man will suffer the consequences in the end. Worldly attitudes and actions only receive worldly rewards, while heavenly attitudes and actions receive even better heavenly rewards.
- Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the Kingdom of God.
- Blessed are those who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied.
- Blessed are those who weep now, for you shall laugh.
- Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man . . . for great is your reward in heaven.
- Woe to you who are rich, for you are receiving your comfort in full.
- Woe to you who are well-fed now, for you shall be hungry.
- Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.
- Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for their fathers used to treat the false prophets in the same way.
God Always Keeps His Word
A true man or woman of God must look beyond his or her circumstances and have the faith to believe that despite how things may seem, God will keep his word. Even the prophets of old endured similar injustices, so we are in in good company.
Do ungodly people really win? They may seem to receive some comfort and enjoyment here on earth, but it will only be short-lived. So don’t be frustrated or bewildered by those who treat you badly in business or in every day life. Instead seek to develop the attitudes and character qualities that God admires. Believe the words of Jesus and you can be glad and leap for joy. There is a better day coming and a great heavenly reward will be yours.
If you like Verses from Mama, I invite you to click here and sign up to receive them straight to your email.